f
s
Questions about Open World travel and PvP

Thread: Questions about Open World travel and PvP

Questions about Open World travel and PvP

The Open World didn't seem to be explained too well. I was unsure of what to expect out there, and had no idea what the penalty would be for screwing up out there, too. At one point though, I grew a pair, grabbed a couple armies, and ventured out. Coolness!

Once out there, I just assumed everyone was an enemy and avoided them. I could see structures but couldn't figure out if they couldn't be interacted with or I just didn't know how to interact with them. Came across rebel camps and even the easy ones said to join in a group. Tried jumping in to an existing battle help someone but battle ended by the time I loaded in. I started toward a level 2 AI territory and the questions really started piling up.

- What can I interact with in the open world?
    - What activities are done in the open world?
    - How many troops should I bring into the open world? What supplies?
    - Forage seems to be the "fuel" for open world travel. Where do I get it?
    - When I get a message that I am crossing through someone's territory, are they getting that same message, too?
    - If I am in a rebel battle and someone joins in, is that a co-op or FFA engagement? Can they attack me as well as the rebels?

The open world seemed like it opened up a ton of new opportunities, but I was rather lost as to how to seize them.

Let me try to answer some of these.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkMastodon View Post

- What can I interact with in the open world?

As of now, you can interact with Fiefs (your own, friendly and neutral AI-held, Hunting Lodges, Black Markets and Inns, and during siege windows, enemy Fiefs through battles. You can also interact with Resource Nodes, Instanced Loot Crates, NPC Rebel Camps, NPC Rebel Armies and other players.

- What activities are done in the open world?

You can harvest resources, take part in PvE field battles with NPCs or PvP battles with other players, collect a vast array of items from Instanced Loot Crates, shop for items at Black Markets, refill your food or heal units at friendly Fiefs, and if enabled, travel to other regions to secure items not available in your native region.

- How many troops should I bring into the open world? What supplies?

Troops and supplies depend on what you plan to do. Traveling in non-friendly or owned territory requires food, in your active storage and a wagon if needed. If you plan to do battle, especially against a Fief, you way want to bring siege weapons. Raw materials can be necessary if you are planning to travel to and use the facilities of another Fief. In terms of troops, if you are harvesting resources, you will want the Peasant-class type which are more effective harvesters than combat troops, and those units should be leveling up to increase their gathering amount and their head-count. Otherwise, bring a full war-band of 5 troops unless speed is a consideration - troop type, and bringing a wagon will impact your speed.

- Forage seems to be the "fuel" for open world travel. Where do I get it?

You can fill your active storage of food at your home Fief - NPC or House-owned - as well as some AI-owned Fiefs on the map, but not all. You can also harvest it from food or farm resource nodes in the open world, though you will need a Requisition Token and any associated fee in coin that is required for the node in question. Food thusly harvested can be stored in your wagon and then be used to refill your active storage while traveling in the open world. Two things to keep in mind about food - if you have none at all, you cannot harvest from resource nodes nor initiate combat. A trick you can use is to keep at least 1 food in your wagon at all times, so that even if you are out of food and suffer the various debuffs while in that state, once you get to a node or a battle, you can get in position so you do not need to move again, eat the 1 food, and then harvest or initiate combat.

- When I get a message that I am crossing through someone's territory, are they getting that same message, too?

No, Fief-owners do not get that kind of message, though they do get messages if someone attacks their Fief.

- If I am in a rebel battle and someone joins in, is that a co-op or FFA engagement? Can they attack me as well as the rebels?

Unless I am mistaken, anyone joining any battle can choose which side to join.

Awesomeness. Glad I checked back in. Thanks for the reply!